Historic Fulford Harbour Landmark Patterson’s Market Undergoes Renovation
Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, February 29, 2012
Patterson’s Market at Fulford Harbour, a store in one of the longest lineage of grocery stores on Salt Spring, has been closed since September 30, 2011 for a much needed renovation. The original Patterson’s store was operated by William Patterson (Bruce Patterson’s Grandfather) at Beaver Point , in what is now Ruckle Provincial Park. In 1915, Beaver Point was a thriving community , with fuel, a post office, and Patterson’s store complete with telephone! Patrons came by boat, often rowing, from the neighbouring islands, and supplies came on the CP steamships. Sometime before 1920, Mr. and Mrs. Patterson also engaged in running a feed store at Fulford Harbour . In 1937, the Patterson’s purchased 2914 Fulford Ganges Road and the saga of Patterson’s grocery store at Fulford Harbour began. In 1965, the store was relocated across the street to its current location, 2915 Fulford Ganges Road.
In the current renovation, virtually nothing has been left untouched. The interior was gutted, exposing glimpses of its former life as a garage. Also, several bottles of nail polish were discovered in the ceiling, but that’s a story to ask about when you visit the new store, Salt Spring Mercantile, at Patterson’s Corner. The electrical and plumbing have been replaced, beams shored up, “heritage” floor replaced, fresh drywall hung, new windows installed, resulting in a clean, bright, open space with a completely different feel, but respectful of its heritage.
Other improvements to the store include updated food and beverage equipment, an eating bar complete with restored counter stools from Nan’s Café ( Nan’s Café was created by Bruce’s Mom) and food tasting stations. Customers can expect to see specialty food items not currently available on Salt Spring, convenience foods for the south enders, and yummy foods to go, reflecting the store’s purpose, “Home and Ferry Provisions.”